On-Campus Housing

What’s being done to prevent the spread of disease in residence halls? 
Georgia State’s Student Health and Wellness Center continuously screens students who are concerned that they may have the flu or flu-like-symptoms.

Campus-wide, steps are being taken to protect the health, welfare and safety of our students. In residence halls, the university has instituted more rigorous sanitation procedures of public areas, such as utilizing additional anti-bacterial products throughout the campus. Additionally, students have been given information about preventative hygiene to help prevent transmission of the flu.

My student lives with a student who has flu like symptoms. Will you move my student? 
Your student may move if there is a vacancy in our system. If not, your student may stay in their assignment and we will provide our residents a N95 mask, or your student may choose to temporarily commute.

My student will use the N95 mask because he/she has nowhere to go. Will you disinfect the apartment? 
The residents may disinfect their own apartment with consumer-based products available at any retail store.

My student is coming home while the virus is active in the apartment. Will you refund or prorate for the days not living on campus? 
Typically, the virus is active for 150 – 165 hours. This time is similar to the flu virus that circulates in a normal flu season where refunds are not provided.

My student has flu-like symptoms, how can she/he get medicine? 
Our University Student Health Clinic will provide antiviral medications for your student or medications can be provided by the student’s primary care physician if they desire.

How can I protect my student during flu season? 
Advise your student to use a tissue when sneezing and throw the tissue away. Wash hands with warm soap and water often and use alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Do not touch hands to the eyes or mouth.

My student is sick and needs care. What services will University Housing provide? 
We will provide a N95 respirator mask to all the residents in the apartment. We will spend time with the residents of the apartment explaining their options while recovery is occurring. We can also assist with connecting your student to campus resources equipped to provide services.

My student is sick and needs to be transported to the Health Center. Will University Housing help? 
It is recommended that sick students stay in their apartment until the symptoms subside. The Student Health Clinic will send a nurse to your student’s apartment. Call 404-413-1930 to make arrangements.

Are you educating the residents about the dangers or precautions they should take to stay safe from N1HI1 flu? 
The Panther’s Guide to Community Living (page 24) provides information on the precautions all residents should take to stay healthy everyday and through the flu season. The university is actively distributing information to students on the novel H1N1 influenza virus and mitigation, prevention, response and recovery techniques.

My student is feeling ill. How do I know if it’s the common cold or the H1N1 flu? 
The flu will progress quicker than a cold. The flu will also raise body temperature above 100.5 degrees. A cold generally does not cause body temperature to rise above 100.5 degrees.

There are 50 students on a floor and some are known to have flu-like symptoms. Do you plan to close or quarantine the floor? 
No. University Housing will not quarantine floors in the residence halls due to space restrictions. Students 18 years and over may chose where they prefer to get well; home or in the residence hall.

My student lives in the Freshman Hall where a meal plan is provided, but too sick to make his/her way to the dining hall. What will University Housing do to make sure my student eats? 
Students with flu-like symptoms should not dine in the Freshman Hall. The first preference is that the sick resident goes home until he or she gets well.

Does University Housing recommend use of prophylaxis during the flu season? 
The CDC does not recommend taking pre-exposure anti-virals for the AH1N1
swine origin flu. Anti-viral treatment will be provided post exposure and post symptomatic.

Where can I find more information about H1N1 swine origin flu? 
One of the best sources for accurate and up to date information can be found on the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website at http://www.cdc.gov/.