If there is an actual fire or visible smoke:
- First, notify the Fire Department by pulling the nearest fire alarm (pull station) and, from a safe distance outside of the building, call the University Police at (404) 413-3333 or 911 to provide details of the situation.
- If you have been trained in the use of a portable fire extinguisher and are able to safely extinguish the fire, you may do so. Be sure you have a safe exit from the area and leave if one extinguisher does not put out the fire.
- Evacuate the building as soon as the alarm sounds.
- On your way out, warn others nearby.
- Move away from fire and smoke. Close doors and windows if time permits.
- Feel closed doors with the top-side/back of your hand to feel for heat. Do not open doors if you feel heat. .
- Use stairs only; do not use elevators.
- Move a minimum of 300 feet away from the building.
- Do not re-enter the building or work area until you have been instructed to do so by the emergency responders.