Explosion or Bomb Threat Procedures
- Take cover under sturdy furniture, or leave the building if directed to do so by emergency responders.
- Stay away from windows.
- Do not light matches.
- Move well away from the site of the hazard to a safe location.
- Use stairs only; do not use elevators.
- CallUniversityPolice at 413-3333.
If You Receive a Bomb Threat:
- Stay calm and keep your voice calm.
- Pay close attention to details. Talk to the caller to obtain as much information as possible.
- Take notes. Ask questions:
-When will it explode?
-Where is it right now?
-What does it look like?
-What kind of bomb is it?
-Where did you leave it?
-Did you place the bomb?
-Who is the target?
-Why did you plant it?
-What is your address?
-What is your name?
- Observe the caller’s:
-Speech patterns (accent, tone)
-Emotional state (angry, agitated, calm, etc.)
-Background noise (traffic, people talking and accents, music and type, etc.)
-Age and gender
- Write down other data:
-Date and time of call
-How threat was received (letter, note, telephone)
- Call University Police at 404-413-3333 and submit your notes from the telephone call or the bomb threat (letter or note) to University Police.
- Check your work area for unfamiliar items. Do not touch suspicious items; report them to University Police at 404-413-3333.
- Take personal belongings when you leave.
- Leave doors and windows open; do not turn light switches on or off.
Use stairs only; do not use elevators.